I just wanted to pass this information along. The federal government has issued new regulations on baby crib safety and these regulations are effective starting today. Beginning June 28, 2011 all baby cribs sold in the US must meet the new federal requirements. It will be illegal for ANYONE to sell baby cribs that does not conform to the new regulations.
Child care centers and places of public accomodation will be required to use Federal compliant baby cribs by Decemeber 28, 2012.
The main changes are as follow:
1) Traditional drop-side cribs cannot be made or sold; immobilizers and repair kits not allowed.
2) Wood slats need to be made of stronger wood to prevent breakage.
3) Crib hardware must have anti-loosening devices to keep it from coming loose or falling off.
4) Mattress supports must be more durable.
5) Safety testing must be more rigoruous
You can find more details of the new baby crib safety requirement at Consumer Product Safety Commission.